Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.
You are here

8K UHD Display Opportunities

03 Jan 2019

By 2019, more than 50% of digital signage panels produced will be Ultra High Definition (UHD) - and this percentage will continue to increase rapidly. If you are considering installing new professional-grade panels, now is the time to start thinking about 8K UHD.

8K UHD resolution is being adopted by the TV industry, and PID is expected to soon follow.

Those in the PID industry who have seen a slow adoption of 4K may wonder if they should consider 8K. We share our perspective to help you understand the opportunity that 8K brings to the PID industry.

Read on to learn the application opportunities and the benefits of choosing 8K UHD over 4K for PID.

Flagship stores

8K UHD display in flagship store

With the advent of online shopping and e-commerce, brands have fewer stores. However, stores are not just about selling goods - physical locations allow customers to connect with the brand and understand the value proposition. Therefore, although the number of stores may reduce, brands are investing more per store to live up to the customer expectations.

As 8K UHD displays are capable of producing extremely detailed imagery due to their resolution of 7,680 x 4,320 pixels (4,320p or 33.2 megapixels), they are ideal for creating impressive talking points in retail stores.

Screens of this quality can be used to create industry-leading retail experiences and memorable pop-ups, with the displays’ hyperrealism and vivid colors capturing and maintaining people’s attention.

8K UHD displays in retail store

No other competing display technology can provide the level of detail and sophistication that 8K UHD does.

Research has proven that with 8K, the depth perception is more enhanced than a 4K display. With more pixels per inch, 8K UHD helps bring products to life while also allowing designers to display more information and product descriptions - all in one pleasing viewing experience.

Information kiosks

Female using information kiosk for wayfinding

Information kiosks are predominately used for wayfinding (providing people with maps and location-specific information), in-store product information, and sometimes to place orders (QSR and other retails operations).

8K panels will transform the kiosk segment. Given the need to interact with the screen, users need to be at a close distance to the screen. With lower resolutions, viewers may experience pixelation. However, 8K UHD screens provide a crisp and clear image that lends itself to an enhanced user experience.

8K UHD improves the clarity of text on screen, making information easier to read. Most kiosk applications are information dense, like a map, and often the user has to compromise (as they zoom in) on the text size versus the breadth of information. However, with 8K UHD, as long as a minimum of 60cpd font size is used, the text remains clear and the user does not need to zoom in, thus allowing them to see more information at the same time.

Video conference

In the workplace, there is an opportunity for 8K UHD to improve experiences with online conferences.

8K UHD screens support multiple images being shown on the same display, without sacrificing image quality. This is particularly useful when on large conference calls with many speakers or monitoring multiple security cameras’ footage.

If using a 65” 8K UHD display to join a video conference, the images of attendees are always large and clear - even if somebody is sharing a presentation. As an example, if a presentation was taking up 75% of the screen and the remaining 25% was for four video conference attendees, the attendees’ sections of the screen would still be the same size as a 15.6” NotePC screen. Although resolution will be limited to FHD (due to webcams not yet being capable of UHD), the presentations would still be 8K UHD resolution and the scale itself gives an immersive element to the conference.

Video Conference

Video surveillance

Given the growth in urban populations and universal broadband connectivity, more and more cities are adopting CCTV to assist first responders in keeping cities safe.

CCTV cameras have been advancing rapidly towards higher resolution. The adoption of high-resolution CCTV cameras has been driven by the use of computer-assisted monitoring software (such as facial recognition). Since the installed base of cameras move towards high resolution, we can expect a spike in interest for high-resolution 8K panels.

Key Takeaway

8K resolution will be one of the main trends for the PID industry over the next three years. As the market leader, Samsung Display is pioneering this change and helping businesses translate this advanced resolution into a business benefit and enhanced customer experience.

For more information on 8K resolution, visit our blog on the future of digital displays.